.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Osmosis Investigation Essay -- GCSE Biology Osmosis Coursework

Osmosis InvestigationHow different concentrations of saccharose solution issuance potato tissue.AimHow do different concentrations of sucrose solution power potatotissue.Background InformationOsmosis is the movement of urine molecules though a partiallypermeable membrane from an area of high water potentiality to an area oflow water potential.High meannessLow ConcentrationThe membrane lets small water molecules pass though but not largeones.The flow continues until the concentration becomes the same on the in spite of appearance as on the outside. This is called equilibrium.Molarity is a broadside of concentration.PredictionI hazard that the potato will change in mass and in distance. I believethis beca intent for each one Molarity of sucrose will change the potatos watercontent. This will happen because either the concentration will higherin the sucrose and lower in the Tubas or lower in the sucrose andhigher in the Tubers. Therefore water will travel in or out of thepotat oes cell though its partial permeable membrane. preliminary examination Method I will firstly get 10 running thermionic tubes and to test tube racks Then I will arc 9 pieces of potato I will and so get 3 different Concentrations of sucrose solution and add 20cm3 to each test tube scale down a 4 mm in diameter tuba to 1 cm in length Now I will measure the length and mass Now place the pieces in Now go on this for 15 minutes Now I will measure the length and massPreliminary ResultsAfter we did the Preliminary Test we decided to use 1 cm long 4 mmdiameter tubas. We would allot them in 25 cm3 sucrose solutions. I donthave any true(a) results because the potato tubas shrivelled up in thefridge.Method1. I took 2 average sized ground potatoes and checked that they were both healthy and hard.2. exploitation a standard kitchen knife I peeled the potatoes and used a potato tuba to cut 18 equally size tubas3. apply a scalpel and ruler I cut the potato into lengths of 4mm by 10mm. I had to be very careful whilst cutting the potato as the scalpel is exceptionally sharp. I then had 18 tubas4. Taking a test tube rack I placed 18 test tubes in it and then labelled them (0.00M, 0.25M, 0.50M, 1.00M, 1.50M, 2.00M)5. Using a measuring cylinder I mensural out 25cm3. I then poured this carefully into ea... ...the water potential inside the tissue.To measure the tubers I think I would use a digital measurer that goesto two decimal places for accuracy and it would go to the sameaccuracy direct as the top pan balance.I would also increase the hail molar amounts I use, such as 0.25 and0.75. one explanation for the grown results is when the potato chipswere removed from the test tubes and desiccated I may whole close to have dried somepotatoes more thoroughly than others and so some would have moreexcess water, which would add to the mass. If the examine wasrepeated I could find another way to dry the potatoes that would get wind that all were dried in th e same way for the same time. I wereto repeat the experiment I would have possibly make up a machine to cutthe potato as it would ensure that all potatoes would be the same angle and dimensions. As well as the potato I could have found a moreaccurate way to measure out the solutions and to localise the molarconcentrations. Perhaps I could have used a burette. This would ensurethat I have an accurate amount of fluid in each test tube. I couldalso weigh each tuber on a more accurate scale, e.g. not to 0.00g butto 0.0000g

No comments:

Post a Comment